Makeup: a love-hate relationship. It can be fun to experiment with new makeup products and try out the trendiest lipstick shades, but after the shopping-adrenaline wears off, the sheer number of cosmetic products we each own can be truly overwhelming. Concealers, foundations, eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascaras, blushes, bronzers- the majority of our makeup comes in small, individual containers. With all these small products, it can be hard to have a functional cosmetic organization system. Stop feeling like your makeup storage is grimy and embarrassing and follow these 5 hacks for a clean, organized space to hold your makeup goodies:
1. Throw away all expired makeup/makeup you don't use
A lot of people don't realize that makeup products expire. Each item of makeup should have a small picture of container on it with how many months the makeup is good for. For instance, the back of my bronzer says "24M" inside the picture of the container meaning it expires in 24 months. Keeping old makeup not only clogs up your pores, it clogs up your storage too! While you are checking the expiration dates on your products, also think, "When was the last time I used this?" Just because it isn't expired, doesn't mean it deserves a place in your drawer. It can be hard to part with makeup but once you throw away makeup you aren't using, it will make you more conscious the next time you go shopping. Check out this chart to help if you still have questions about when your makeup expires!
Read on for 5 fantastic experience gift ideas...
1 ). Tickets and/or Memberships
- Kids: Children's theater tickets, zoo membership, aquarium membership, science museum tickets.
- Teens: YMCA or local gym membership, movie passes for local theater, ice skating passes or membership to a rink, batting cages and go karts tickets, concert tickets.
- Adults: Pro or minor league sports tickets, local theater company subscription, museum membership, broadway show ticket package.
2 ). Classes
- Kids: Ballet, dance or gymnastics classes, art lessons, horseback riding lessons, cooking classes, swimming lessons.
- Teens: Surfing lessons, snowboarding class, private lessons for a sport or hobby.
- Adults: Paint and Sip classes, crafting workshops, cooking classes or in-home chef, MasterClass, yoga classes, dance lessons, wine tastings class, flower arranging lessons.
- Hint: Groupon and Living Social are great places to find discounted classes and trips.
3 ). Trips
- Kids: Great Wolf Lodge, amusement park trip, ski trip, beach trip, Washington DC.
- Teens: bring one friend on a weekend away at beach, mountains, city.
- Adults: Fun local day trip and tour ( like Biltmore House, Charleston, or Savannah in the Southeast), unusual tour in vacation destination (dolphin tour, ghost tour, foodie walking tour, etc.), wine country, big festival like Jazz Fest, Taste of Chicago, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade,etc.
4). Big Tickets items
- Kids: pay for summer camp, buy a musical instrument and lessons, pay for a session of classes or a sport (e.g. soccer or football season).
- Teens: Trip overseas, pay for a year of school fees, books for college, or even a year of college.
- Adults: Monthly cleaning service, weekly meal delivery service , pay for a family photo shoot and the prints, purchase a season of opera tickets, monthly flower delivery.
5). Other cool Experience gifts
*Helicopter tour (or airboat, tractor, train etc)
*A year of date nights (12 gift cards to restaurants, movies, sporting events, museums, etc)
*Sailing or boating tour
*Massage and or facial
Professional Disclaimer: The ideas, recommendations, and opinions on this website, blog, and made in person are for educational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered legal, financial, or medical advice. I am not an attorney, doctor, or licensed financial professional. Sage Organizing Co., LLC is not liable for any losses or damages related to actions or failure to act related to the content of this website, blog, or in-person discussions. If you need specific legal, financial, or medical advice, consult a professional in your area.
Enough with the stuff! Give the Gift of Experience instead.
Back To Schoool
Before & After
Closet Organization Ideas + Hacks
Downsizing Your Home
Family Schedule Logistics
Garage DIY Organization
Later Life Planning
Organizing Aging Parents
Selling Your Stuff
Weekly Family Routine
Looking for something?